Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

AutoHotKey

If you’re like me, at some point you’ve had to perform mindless repetative tasks on your computer.  AutoHotKey is my favorite way of speeding up such tasks.

Here are the reasons I like it:

  • It’s free.

  • It’s easy.  No prior programming knowledge required.  AutoScriptWriter, which is included in the AutoHotKey, takes the guess work out.  It will record your actions and create a script that you then paste into a new AutoHotKey file.



  • The script can run on any computer.  You can convert the files to .exe.

  • It can do almost anything.  I did find something it couldn’t do when I was using it though.  I tried to create a script that would auto log me into a secure site but the program couldn’t retain my login info…which is probably a good thing…but I then couldn’t create the script I wanted.

  • It’s a text expander.  So if you enter the same information over and over it can help save time.  For example: entering an email address.

You can download it at:

2 comments:

  1. You should be able to use AutoHotKey to log into a site. See http://bit.ly/gP5WdV

    You probably want to save such a script on your system as an .exe so your password isn't stored on your system in plain text.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...